REPUBLIC ACT NO. 5294
AN ACT CHANGING THE NAME OF THE MATERNITY AND CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL TO DR. JOSE FABELLA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Section 1. The name of the Maternity and Children's Hospital in the City of Manila under the Department of Health is hereby changed to Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital.
Sec. 2. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.
Enacted without Executive approval, June 15, 1968.
LEGAL BASIS FOR THE CREATION OF THE HOSPITAL
On November 9, 1920, the Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital, originally called the “Maternity House” which was then located at Isabel St., Sampaloc, Manila, and later on the Maternity and Children’s Hospital was founded by the late Dr. Jose Fabella, then Chairman of the Public Welfare Board with a capacity of six (6) beds. With the creation of the Public Welfare Commission, the control and operation of the clinic was taken over by the said office in 1921. In 1931, the control and supervision of the clinic was transferred to the Bureau of Health and then to the Bureau of Hospitals in 1947, which became the Bureau of Medical Services. It was later on designated as a training hospital under the jurisdiction of the Office of Secretary of Health.
A review of the various appropriations acts passed by the Philippine Legislature ( in the library of Malacañang) showed that the original name of “Maternity House” was carried by the hospital up to 1932. In 1933, item 26, appearing under the Bureau of Public Welfare, of Act No. 4074 appropriated the sum of P48,241.00. “For the operation of the Maternity Hospital of Manila.” Again, in the succeeding Act (No. 4167) of 1934, item 25, also listed under the Bureau mentioned, the same amount was set aside “ For the Operation of the Maternity and Children’s Hospital, Manila x x x x x x x x x x x x x.” (underscoring supplied)
So far, the foregoing are the only official records where information and data concerning the changes made in the name of this hospital could be found excluding the Eight Annual Report of the Public Welfare Commissioner from January 1 to December 31, 1928 where it could be gathered that the change from “Maternity House” to Maternity and Children’s Hospital” was effected in the year 1928 – upon its transfer from Sampaloc to Manuguit, Tondo. Nothing was mentioned, however, in the said report as to how such change was brought about, whether by legislation, Executive Order, etc.
On February 19, 1941, President Manuelo L. Quezon issued Administrative Oder No. 140 creating a committee to study the preliminary plans prepared by the Bureau of Public Works utilizing the Bilibid Hospital and its premises as a maternity hospital.
The Maternity and Children’s Hospital was renamed Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital on June 15, 1968, pursuant to H.B. No. 12063, entitled “AN ACT CHANGING THE NAME OF THE MATERNITY AND CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL TO DR. JOSE FABELLA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL,” which was submitted to the President for approval. Said Act became a law without the President’s signature by virtue of the provisions of Article VI, Section 20 (1) of the Constitution and has been assigned tentatively Republic Act. No. 5294, as certified to by Mr. Ariel Bocobo, Legislative Secretary.
by the PRESIDENT: ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER NO. 140
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
OF THE PHILIPPINES
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE PHILIPPINES ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER NO. 140
CREATING A COMMITTEE TO MAKE STUDIES OF AND SUBMIT RECOMMENDATIONS ON, THE PRELIMINARY PLANS PREPARED BY THE BUREAU OF PUBLIC WORKS FOR UTILIZING THE OLD BILIBID PRISON BUILDINGS AND LOTS IN THE CITY OF MANILA.
A Committee composed of Mr. Vicente Fragante, Director of Public Works, as Chairman; and Mr. Jose Paez, General Manager, Manila Railroad Company; Mr. Ad. D. Williams, Technical Adviser to the President; Mr. Benito Razon, Manager, National Trading Corporation; and Mr. Cornelio Balmaceda, Director of Commerce; as Members, is hereby created and constituted to study the preliminary plans prepared by the Bureau of Public Works for utilizing the old Bilibid Prison Building and lots in the City of Manila, for the following purposes, with the exception of the Bilibid Hospital and its premises, which is to be used as a maternity hospital:
- For a market and parking lots to be operated by the National Trading Corporation;
- For the National Produce Exchange and the Manila Trading Center and Exchange to be operated by the Bureau of Commerce; and
- For buildings to house the Bureau of Commerce, the National Trading Corporation, the National Abaca and other Fiber Corporation , the National Tobacco Corporation, and the National Coconut Corporation.
This Committee, which shall meet at such places and times as may be designated by the Chairman, shall submit its findings and recommendations to the President at the earliest practicable date.
Done at the City of Manila, this 19th day of February, in the year of our Lord, nineteen hundred and forty-one, and of the Commonwealth of the Philippines, the sixth.
(SGD.) MANUEL L. QUEZON
President of the Philippines
By the President:
(SGD.) JORGE B. VARGAS
Secretary to the President